EVA-MARIA BRAJE, LL.M. (Cardiff)
Department: Commercial Disputes, Maritime, Insurance
Qualified: Germany, 2004; England & Wales, 2017
Education (University): University of Trier, University of Cardiff
Languages: English, German
Eva is a dispute resolution specialist who brings over 15 years of advocacy as well as in-house experience to her clients. She is dual qualified in England & Wales and Germany and is a bar accredited transport specialist.
Eva specialises in complex transport and transport insurance claims for national and international clients. She handles mainly contentious shipping and logistics matters as well as general commercial and trade disputes.
Her experience includes defending logistic service providers on complex multi-party disputes, negotiating settlements in multi-layer insurance and liability cases and representing parties in high end recovery proceedings as well as handling of GA and salvage-claims.
Eva is a regular speaker at various events for our clients and the industry.
Experience/ work practice:
- Litigation, arbitration, ADR
- Litigation in German Courts in civil and commercial matters, including Court of Appeals
- Arbitration GMAA and DIS proceedings under German law
- National and cross-border enforcement of legal titles; debt collection
Experience in the following fields of law (German and English Law):
- Transport (all means of transport, incl. aviation and road haulage)
- Shipping/maritime; incl. ship collisions; groundings; general average.
- Logistics; warehousing
- Marine insurance (cargo, warehouse; H+ M, P & I; LoH; advice, cover and recovery proceedings)
- Ship-management contracts incl. crewing contracts.
- Yacht building disputes
- Review and advice on bills of lading conditions; charterparties
- Defense of claw back claims in insolvency proceedings
- Passenger & crew claims
- Advise on ship arrests
Recent new activities and interests:
- ESG (mainly from transport insurance perspective)
- Regulatory advice (SOLAS- rules for NGO´s)
Recent speaking activities for clients and insurance industry associations:
- Presentation on bills of ladings under German and English Law
- Presentation on ESG in Marine Insurance for the German /Austrian Insurance Association in Vienna
- Presentation on bills of lading as a guest speaker at the University in Hamburg
- Presentation on legal aspects of passage planning under English law for the German branch of the Nautical Institute
- Presentation on insolvency on shipping lines and effects on industry.
- Former lecturer for international transport and transport insurance law for postgraduates at the Martin-Luther University
- Dual qualified lawyer (German bar since 2004; English roll of solicitors since 2017)
- German bar certified transportation law specialist (since 2009)
- Master of Laws in Maritime Law (University of Wales, Cardiff)
- Hamburg Bar Association
- The Law Society of England & Wales
- GMAA – Association e.V.
- German Maritime Law Association e.V.
- Traditional Association of German Transport Insurers e.V.
- German Transport Law Association e.V.
- Insurance Law Association e.V.
- WISTA Germany e.V., former board member for compliance